home About contact shop

12.23.2008

the christmas dress

necessity is the mother of invention. and i am the mother of macy. therefore it was necessary for my girl to wear an invention of mine. and an invention it was because i decided to take it on the day before she needed to wear it. i've had this fabric on my shelf for a few months now, thinking it would someday be a comforter in her room, but changed my mind. and ever since i was introduced to the idea of damask on little girls, i have been in love. so she has two of the same dress in different colors- the more the merrier. this dress is a little different though- i thought instead of doing a traditional closure on the back, i thought i would make it a wrap around. so the back is overlapped and the ties go around twice just for fun. i then remembered she is three and won't always be modest, so i made an underskirt- which led to adding tulle to it to peek out under the dress. i made the dress with short sleeves because she doesn't like to wear long sleeves, but it's about 10 degrees outside and how can i justify taking my toddler out in a summer dress? (the comfort before fashion arguement will only go so far, right?) so then i thought of a little cardigan i made forever ago and added that to the ensemble. so you see it was definitely an invention that was born out of necessity. necessity for a christmas dress, necessity to finish it quickly, and necessity to "make it work" as tim gunn would say. and i think it did.

6 comments:

Kim said...

I would like to place an order for next year. Two please!!!!! ADORABLE

Sarah said...

I love it!!! You are so talented and I love to see the stuff you make. Thanks again for the way cute stocking and treats and Merry Christmas.

adventure knitter said...

oh my goodness!! i wish i had your sewing talent and ability! that dress is so adorable! macy is one super lucky girl to have you!!

Mandy said...

SARA, oh my gosh!! That is absolutely adorable. You NEVER cease to amaze me. You have such amazing talent. Macy is going to cherish ALL the many things you've made for her. She's so lucky to have such a wonderful and talented mama!!

stacia said...

whatever. that is all i have to say. it is ADORABLE! i am tired of the lopsided gene pool in this family! only kidding of course, you are amazing and i benefit greatly. so when are you mailing savvy's dress? ha ha!

Cami said...

What a cutie! I LOVE the dress. I'm finally subscribing to family blogs, so I'll be lurking, just so you know.