home About contact shop

5.14.2010

dinner days

a little over a year ago, my friend and i started trading dinners. it's the best idea ever and we got it from some other friends. the way it works is one day a week she brings dinner to us and one day a week i take dinner to her. it works great for us because i make a really nice dinner once a week but my family gets it twice a week. we always have leftovers, i get new ideas from her(she's a fabulous cook) and i stretch myself by trying new things as well. (we have a blog with all the recipes we've shared here in case you're interested)
yesterday was my dinner day so i made my favorite white bread(because my wheat mill was out of reach) and my new favorite salad. this is my version of a salad i really love from claim jumper. sooooo yum.

salad:
use any combined amount to of the following to suit your taste
romaine/iceberg lettuce
mandarin oranges
golden raisins
avocado- sliced
craisins
blue cheese
green onions- chopped
candied pecans (or plain)
grilled chicken cut into bite sized pieces

dressing:
1.5c canola oil
1c apple cider vinegar
1/4c honey
3T sugar
a couple pinches dehydrated onion
1 tsp dried thyme(or less to taste)
1 clove garlic- minced
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp onion powder
Combine ingredients in a jar and shake until well blended. Refrigerate to let flavors mix. If you want, you can marinate the chicken in some of the dressing.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Is that the Claim Jumper Citrus salad? So good. :-D

amyraye said...

you left out the apples!
love that salad.

Megan said...

I so wish I lived closer. That is such a great idea!